Program Refund Policy of the Redwood Empire Council
The Redwood Empire Council provides Council programs, High Adventure Camps and other Camping Experiences to the Scouts and Leaders in its area. These opportunities require Council staff to send deposits to the sponsoring camp, acquire needed supplies and produce mailings to campers and others so the Council sponsored experiences are rewarding and convenient for the scouts and leaders in our Council.
Fees are usually paid in advance of the event and to ensure the Council can provide the best service to the scouts the following refund policies will apply.
Event fees are final except in a limited number of circumstances where a refund may be granted. Refunds may be given only if the following circumstances are brought to a Council employee’s attention prior to but not later than 30 days of the event.
- The registered participant has an illness preventing participation in the event and has a signed statement from a Medical Doctor or Healthcare Practitioner. The written order must be provided to the Council.
- In the event of the death of an immediate family member (parent, grandparent, brother, sister or anyone else living in the house with the participant). The Council will consider other deaths, which may affect the participant, on a case-by-case basis.
- Only an employee of the Redwood Empire Council may authorize a refund for a Council sponsored event.
- Any refund of monies for the event is then based on the money paid to the Council minus the deposit and any money sent to another agency or company for the event. The remaining money is refundable as long as the participant meets the above requirements. Any money that has been sent to another agency or company is considered issued and not refundable.
- Any event that does not have a deposit, but has an event fee will be assessed a $2.00 service charge before any refund is issued. All remaining money is refundable. Again the participant must meet the above requirements.
Deposits are non-refundable. The following will apply for any deposit made for a Council sponsored program.
- Deposits are not refundable. Any cancellation once the deposit has been sent to the Council will be forfeited.
- Deposits may be transferable to another participant that takes the entire slot for that event.
The Redwood Empire Council and all approved Event Committee’s have the opportunity to set late fees or discounts for events. Late fees will be announced with the original posting for the event, so participants will know when deposits or event fees are paid that Late Fees are involved. Late fees paid to the Council are not refundable.
At times the Council maintains a waiting list. If the participant is not selected to attend the event all waiting list money will be refunded at 100%, including deposit money.
Cancellation by the Council
If the Redwood Empire Council or National Boy Scouts of America or any agency that has contracted with the Council cancels an event, the Council will issue a full 100% refund (including any Deposit Money).
These policies only affect the Redwood Empire Council, Boy Scouts of America: its Committees and Districts. This policy is not transferable to Charter Partners or Individual Units (Packs, Troops, Crews) of the Council.
- The Scout gets the flu and cannot attend a District Camporee. Cost of Camporee is $10. The refund would be $10 - $2 (service charge) = $8 refund.
- The Scouts grandmother dies and thus is unable to attend a Philmont Trip. Philmont price is $750. The refund would be $750 - $100 (deposit) - $400 (Philmont Fee) = $250 refund.
- Florida Sea Base cancels trip due to shark attacks. Total cost of the Trip $1000. The refund would be $1000 no matter what. The Council will take the liability for the plane tickets and any other expenses. All money even deposits are refunded.