MyCouncil®  |  Cart (0)  |  Join  |  Sign In

Merit Badge Counselors 

How does a Scout find a Merit Badge Counselor?

  1. Identify what badge you would like to take
  2. Talk to your Unit Leadership about your interest.
  3. Your leader will give you the name of a person from an approved list of Merit Badge Counselors.
  4. If your Unit Leadership does not have the list, request that they contact Tracy Good to request the list of counselors for the Merit Badges you need.

To qualify as a Merit Badge Counselor, you must

  • Be at least 18 years old and of good character.
  • Be registered with the Boys Scouts of America (position code 42).
  • Complete Youth Protection Training.
  • Be recognized as having the skills and education in the merit badge subjects covered and hold hold any required qualifications and training as outlined in the Guide to Safe Scouting or the Guide to Advancement--or use others so qualified.
  • Be able to work with Scout-aged boys.

As a Merit Badge Counselor, you agree to:

  • Follow the requirements of the merit badge, making no deletions or additions, ensuring that the advancement standards are fair and uniform for all scouts.
  • Have a Scout accompanied by his buddy during all instructional sessions.
  • Keep your Youth Protection training current.
  • Renew your registration annually if you plan to continue as a merit badge counselor.

How do I Register to be a Merit Badge Counselor?

You must do the following to be a registered Merit Badge Counselor:

  1. Fill out an Adult Application in English or Spanish (including your Driver's License, Social Security Number and Date of Birth, and Sign the application). Merit Badge Counselors are considered District Level positions so the local unit does not need to sign the application. 
  2. Fill out a Merit Badge Counselor Information Form
    1. Download an Application Here: Merit Badge Counselor Information Form
  3. Take Youth Protection Training by Clicking Here External Linkand signing into the MyScouting System.  Make sure to turn the Youth Protection card that you will receive at the end of this training with your application. 
  4. Turn all of the paperwork into the Council Service Center.  After you turn the paperwork into the council service center, your paperwork will be reviewed and approved, or followed up with for additional questions. 

**For Shooting Sports Merit Badges you must be NRA certified

I'm already a Registered Volunteer, do I really need to fill out another application?

You must file an adult application for every new position that you would like to participate in the Boy Scouts. 

If you are already a registered Counselor, and would like to add or remove merit badges to your repertoire, you need to file another Merit Badge Counselor Information form with the Council Service Center.

How do I renew my Merit Badge Counselor registration?

All Merit Badge Counselors must confirm their registration annually. Merit Badge Counselor registration for the Redwood Empire Council runs May 1  - April 30. Merit Badge Counselors are mailed a renewal letter in April. The letter needs to be signed and returned to the Council Service Center. If you have missed placed your letter please contact Tracy Good for a replacement letter.

Do I Pay to be a Merit Badge Counselor?

Registration as a Merit Badge Counselor is FREE


Copyright © 2014 Redwood Empire Council. All rights reserved
Web Site Powered By ScoutTools®